CFMS Student Initiative Grants
Applications for the SIG 2023-2024 have closed. CFMS has received a record number of 114 applications. As comparison, we received 55 applications last year. Round 1 of marking is now in progress. After all results have been collected an email will go out to inform applicants whether they've made it to Round 2 or not. For questions please email [email protected]
The application form is a Google Form that can be found here. As part of the application you are required to upload your initiative's budget: SIG Application Budget Template. You can download the template as a Word document, but please upload it to the application form as a PDF. Note: no other overview than the provided template will be accepted for the SIG Budget.
Scroll to the end of this page to see which initiatives were awarded the grant in previous years.
CFMS Student Initiative Grants Program was established in 2007 to provide support and funding to medical student initiatives. The fund was established in response to the increasing number of medical student-run initiatives and the need for official and financial support from our national student organization.
For more information about the grants and how your application will be scored, please see the program guideline 23/24.
Many successful projects have benefitted from direct CFMS funding including charitable, educational, and social events all organized by medical students. The goal is to assist students in realizing events or initiatives that promote interactions between CFMS students and member schools.
Brief Project guidelines:
- Student Initiative Grant funding is intended to help local and provincial start-up projects with initial funding to contribute to their long-term sustainability.
- Projects will NOT be considered if they have been recipients of CFMS Student Initiative Grants
- IMPORTANT NOTE: There are two categories of funding available. Tier 1 SIG funding is available for medium to large-scale initiatives and Tier 2 SIG funding is available for small- to medium-scale initiatives. The maximum amount of funding that may be requested via a CFMS SIG is $3,000.00 for Tier 1 and $1,500.00 for Tier 2.
- Projects will have the option to apply for one of the two tiers of fundings. Please do not increase your budget to ask for the maximum, as we wish to fund as many projects as possible, however for projects with a larger budget, please take note of this limit and look for funding from other sources such that you are able to complete your project with only partial funding from the CFMS.
- The Student Initiative Grants are NOT meant to fund academic research or travel funding to conferences for individual medical students