About the CFMSThe CFMS is an organization representing over 8,000 medical students from 15 Canadian medical student societies from coast to coast. We represent medical students to the public, to the federal government, and to national and international medical organizations.
The results of the first iteration of the R-1 Match will officially be made available at 12:00 pm (noon) EDT on April 20th.
The CFMS congratulates all Canadian medical students on completing the first iteration R-1 match! You worked hard, and the CFMS is proud to have represented you during your medical school journey.
Match Day can bring complicated emotions and that is normal, regardless of your match status. If you need support, reach out to your loved ones, student affairs office, or the provincial medical association physician support service.
If you are not matched after the first iteration, you are not alone. There are many resources to help you as you continue along your journey to being a successful physician. We have compiled a list of the following resources for you.
Please feel free to get in touch with us at any time by emailing the Director of Student Affairs [email protected] . Your confidentiality will be respected.
1) CFMS Unmatched Peer Mentorship Network: This is a forum where you can make an anonymous account and receive support from previously unmatched students. You may ask questions about the match process, what resources are available, your options, or anything else. You may also chat with any of the available mentors for one-on-one mentorship and peer support. The page is restricted to CFMS moderators, uCMG mentors, and current uCMG students to ensure your privacy and comfort levels are always maintained. Sign up at peersupportnetwork.net. and don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected] and [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns!
2) CFMS Matchbook: The 2020-2021 Matchbook is accessible to CFMS members via our website and is accessible here . Section 5, “The Unmatched Scenario,” is a detailed toolkit, which includes advice from previously unmatched students, put together annually by the CFMS unmatched CMG (uCMG) team.
3) Second Iteration Application Reimbursement: The CFMS is excited to offer all unmatched members $150 to support applying to the second iteration of the R-1 match. The reimbursement form is available here . The reimbursement form must be completed and submitted to [email protected] by May 30th, 2021.
4) Residency Match Resources: The CFMS has made available different resources and informations regarding your Residency Match, which can be accessed here. . This page is intended to be a guide to help students preparing for or undergoing through the residency match process.
5) Wellness Supports: We encourage all learners to be in close contact with their Student Affairs offices for comprehensive support during this process. The CFMS website has PDF documents for all of our member medical schools with information regarding specific wellness-related supports that are always available, which can be accessed here. .
The Canadian Medical Association has a Wellness Support Line. that is available to medical students 24/7. For more information, see their FAQ. . Each province also organizes their own physician health programs, which are available to medical students. See British Columbia , Alberta , Saskatchewan , Manitoba , Ontario , Quebec , New Brunswick , Nova Scotia , Prince Edward Island , and Newfoundland and Labrador .
6) SafeSpaces Peer Support Session for Unmatched Students: Join other unmatched medical students from across the country in a psychiatrist-moderated peer support session, aiming to connect students in conversation. Open only to unmatched Canadian Medical Graduates from the 2021 Match cycle. Learners can participate anonymously or choose to identify themselves; two previous unmatched residents will be in attendance to share their experience.
The session will be held Wednesday, April 28th, 2021, at 7 pm EST/5 pm MST. Offered in collaboration with the CMA. To join the session, please register in advance at https://www.cma.ca/student-peer-session.