For Students Unmatched After the Second Iteration of the R-1 Residency Match
Results of the second iteration of the R-1 Match are officially made available at 12:00 (noon) EST on Wednesday, April 10th, 2019.
The CFMS congratulates all Canadian medical students who completed the R-1 match. You worked hard and the CFMS is proud to have represented you during your medical school journey. Good luck to all taking their next steps toward residency!
If you did not match and are a CFMS member, we have listed some steps for you to consider. Your Student Affairs and Undergraduate Medical Education offices have been made aware of these supports as well:
1) CFMS Unmatched Peer Mentorship Network: If you wish to be put in touch with a previously unmatched student mentor you may contact the CFMS Director of Education at [email protected]. Your confidentiality will be respected.
2) CFMS Matchbook: the 2019-2020 Matchbook is accessible to CFMS members via our website and can be accessed here. It is updated with advice for the unmatched student. More specifically, Section 4.3 “The Unmatched Scenario” is a detailed toolkit put together by the CFMS Unmatched CMG Task Force which is comprised of previously unmatched students.
3) Wellness Supports: We encourage all learners to be in close contact with their Student Affairs offices for comprehensive support during this process. You can find contact information for the different provincial health programs (PHPs) here. Our website also has PDF documents for all 15 of our member medical schools with information regarding specific wellness related supports that are always available. They can be accessed here.
4) MOTP Surge: Please note the MOTP Surge program opportunity with the Canadian Armed Forces which you can find out more details about here
If you are not matched after the first iteration, you are not alone. There are many resources to help you as you continue along your journey to being a successful physician.
Please feel free to get in touch with us at any time by emailing the CFMS Director of Education, Rishi Sharma, at [email protected]. Your confidentiality will be respected.
5) Second Round Application Reimbursement:
The CFMS is able to offer all unmatched students $150 to support applying to the second round of the R1 match. The reimbursement form is available here and can be emailed to [email protected] before 30 March 2019. Please make sure to use your school email account when sending in this form. These reimbursement requests will be handled with the utmost discretion.
Student Supports and Resources
In February 2018, the CFMS launched an unmatched peer mentorship network. If you are a CFMS member who is unmatched and would like to receive mentorship and peer support from previously unmatched students, please email [email protected] to be connected with a mentor. If you are interested in being included in the network as a peer mentor, please email [email protected].
Match Day can bring complicated emotions and that is normal, regardless of your match status. If you need support, reach out to your loved ones, your student affairs office, or provincial medical association physician support service and know that you are not alone, today or ever.
For school specific wellness resources, please visit the CFMS wellness page.
The Canadian Medical Association has a wellness resource page with information on helplines offered by provincial physician health programs in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. These helplines are available to medical students.
The Professional Association of Residents of Ontario offers a 24-hour helpline available to residents, their partners and family members, as well as medical students. The toll-free number is 1-866-HELP-DOC (1-866-435-7362) and is accessible anywhere in Ontario, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.